The 100 Mile Community Hall was decorated in soft black drapes, with a scattering of twinkle lights welcoming attendees and nominees to the South Cariboo Chamber of Commerce (SCCC) 22nd Annual Business Excellence Awards held on April 16.
The voting was done differently for the second year by having attendees vote for the winner of each category.
Instead of the time-consuming paper vote, people were asked to vote when they came in the hall by checking off their choice on an electronic device, the numbers were then instantly tabulated.
Master of ceremonies for the event was SCCC chair Leon Chretien who introduced the pre-dinner guest speakers – Mayor Mitch Campsall and CRD board chair Al Richmond.
Chretien thanked SCCC manager Shelly Morton and all the volunteers for all their work.
After a delicious prime rib dinner, which was catered by Psalm 23 Transition Society, the audience was entertained by comedian John Cullen from Yuk Yuks on Tour.
Cullen was very complementary to 100 Mile House, but the audience knew he was from the Coast when he commented in bewilderment about seeing gravel as a silent auction item.
Award winners and nominees
• Family Friendly Business: a tie between Canlan Ice Sports-South Cariboo Rec. Centre and Higher Ground Natural Foods; other nominees: Save-On-Foods and Donex Pharmacy & Department Store.
• Greatest Improve-ment in 2015: Andre’s Electronics; other nominees: Lac la Hache Bakery, Sears Hometown Store and Sunrise Ford Sales.
• Rising Star: Natalie Cox, GBR, Gourmet Burger Revolution; other nominees: Nicole Weir, Village Hair Studio; Jodi Christianson, Rustic Elements; and Sheryl Harras, At Ease Wellness.
• Tourism/Recrea-tion: 100 Mile House Wranglers; other nominees: Mt. Timothy Ski Society, South Cariboo Visitor Centre and Cariboo Radio.com.
• Best Marketing & Promotion: Andres Electronics; other nominees: Exquisite Florals and Gifts, CaribooRadio.com and Century Home Hardware.
• Community Inclusion: 100 Mile House Wranglers; other nominees: Canada Safeway, 100 Mile House Free Press and Cedar Crest Society for Community Living.
• Best Home-Based Business: Soul Concepts Aesthetics; other nominees: Weston Roofing, My Spare Time and Tough as Nails Esthetics.
• Best New Business in 2015: GBR, Gourmet Burger Revolution; other nominees: Rustic Elements, JJ’s Home Inspirations and At Ease Wellness.
• Non-Profit Organization: South Cariboo Search and Rescue; other nominees: Cedar Crest Society for Community Living, Whisker Kisses Food Bank for Pets and Cariboo Family Enrichment Centre, Youth Zone.
• Community Based Business Excellence: South Cariboo Farmers Market; other nominees: Higher Ground Natural Foods, Timber Mart and 100 Mile Funeral Services.
• Resource Based Excellence: Sitka Log Homes; other nominees: United Concrete & Gravel, Gus Horn & Family and Norbord.
• Customer Service: Tim Hortons; other nominees: Ace Hardware, Red Rock Grill and Didi’s Boutique.
• People’s Choice: The Bicycle Tree Eatery & Espresso Bar; other nominees: K-9 Pack Pals, Village Hair Studio and Nuthatch Books.