Nine South Okanagan Penticton businesses came out on top in the Thompson Okanagan Business Excellence Awards.
Anthony Haddad, director of development services for Penticton and one of the judges at the awards, said it was hard deciding between the 80 business nominated for the awards from across the Thompson Okanagan, so Penticton taking so many of the top spots was even more impressive.
“It’s a great showing for the talented businesses in the community. Incredibly positive business environment right now, a lot of innovation. Of the six businesses nominated in the entrepreneurial category, four of them were from Penticton. “For the tech award, I think it was three out of the five nominated,” said Haddad. “This two, in themselves, show the positive atmosphere Penticton has.”
Two Kelowna companies took the honours for both Business of the Year (Yeti Farm Creative) and Small Business of the Year (GetInTheLoop), but that didn’t stop Penticton from claiming seven out of the 17 categories, with Summerland picking up another two.
- Community Builder of the Year: Get Bent Yoga and Dance.
- Entrepreneur of the Year: Redhead Mare
- Restaurant of the Year: The Nest and Nectar
- Technology Business of the Year: Big Bear Software
- Tourism Business of the Year (tie): Glow SUP Adventures and Sip Happens Wine Tours of Lake Country
- Trades Business of the Year: Duffy Baker Construction
- Winery Business of the Year: Poplar Grove Winery
Summerland’s True Grain Bread was named Food Production Business of the Year, and the Green Business of the Year was Swiss Solar Tech Ltd. of Summerland.
The awards, which were announced Friday in Kelowna, were judged by a team of judges that included Anthony Haddad, director of development services for Penticton; Jim Anderson, executive director of Venture Kamloops and Glenn Mandziuk, president of the Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association.
Grant Thornton LLP was the title platinum sponsor for the event, and Innov8 Digital Solutions was the gold sponsor. Black Press is the print media sponsor for the event, co-ordinated by Business Examiner Thompson Okanagan newspaper. Category sponsors included RBC Royal Bank, Sandler Training, Business Development Bank of Canada, Diversified Rehabilitation Group and 101.5 EZ Rock Bell Media.
Other top businesses were
- Automotive Business of the Year: Current Taxi of Kelowna
- Construction and Development Business of the Year: High Street Ventures of Kelowna
- Health Care Business of the Year: Carrington Dental Centre of West Kelowna
- Manufacturing Business of the Year (Tie): Riversong Guitars of Kamloops and Vitalis Extraction of Kelowna
- Professional Services Business of the Year: Refresh Financial of Kelowna
- Retail Business of the Year (Tie): Main Street Clothing of Kamloops and Pickle Ball Depot of Vernon
Steve Kidd Senior reporter, Penticton Western News Email me or message me on Facebook Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram