Roughnecks return to Coquitlam Adanacs' lineup

— image credit:

With only four games in the Western Lacrosse Association season under their belts, most Coquitlam Sr. Adanacs are still rounding into form.

But three players joining the team this weekend have been competing at a high level since January and are hoping to provide a spark to the A’s 1-3-0 season.

Travis Cornwall, Marty Dinsdale and Daryl Veltman are expected to suit up for Saturday’s game against the Burnaby Lakers, Coquitlam’s first game at the Poirier Sport and Leisure Complex since the team’s May 17 home opener.

The trio is fresh off a disappointing loss with the Calgary Roughnecks in the National Lacrosse League finals, but Veltman said they are eager to put the loss behind them and focus on the upcoming WLA season.

“It was a tough loss for us for sure,” he told The Tri-City News on Wednesday. “I am just excited to be getting back playing.”

Calgary’s 3-2 loss against the Rochester Knighthawks in the tie breaking mini-game a week ago is still fresh on Veltman’s mind. However, the 29-year-old lefty said that after a few days he has started to appreciate the accomplishment of getting to the 2014 Champion’s Cup.

“There is a lot to take away from it,” he said. “It is great to make it to the championship itself. But it is still hard to look at it as a successful season coming so close and falling short by that one goal.”

For Veltman, there are positives and negatives to joining a team that is already progressing through its season.

On the one hand his conditioning is in top form and he has been competing at a high level since January. However, finding the chemistry with his teammates, many of who are new to the Adanacs, will take a bit of time, he said.



Cornwall, another Roughneck that will be joining the Adanacs this Saturday, said he is also feeling the bumps and bruises of a long post-season.

“Physically, you might be a bit beat up,” he said.

Cornwall and Dinsdale played Wednesday night, when Coquitlam lost 13-10 to the Langley Thunder at the Langley Events Centre.

Despite taking a 4-2 lead after the first period with goals from Brett Hickey, Ryan Keith, Brian Gillis and Cornwall, the team gave up nine in the middle frame to fall behind 11-8 going into the last period.

The team started to close the gap in the third, with Dinsdale scoring his first of theWLA season and Brandon Goodwin netting an unassisted marker early in the frame.

However, a strong Langley defence kept Coquitlam from finding the back of the net despite the A’s 18 shots in the last period.

Brett Hickey had a four-point game with one goal and three assists, while Tyler Garrison notched four assists in the outing.

Coquitlam will now play their next three games at home starting on Saturday, June 7 at the Poirier Sport and Leisure Complex. Face off is at 7 p.m. For more information go to

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...