Connect with Us
COLUMN: Final weeks of ski season in Nelson
Spring break has been a welcomed break and also a successful first week of playing host to Pee Wee hockey participants from all over the province. It’s always a pleasure to share our city and region with visitors and hear their comments about our beautiful and interesting little city. Their spoken intentions of returning for a summer vacation are a direct link to the benefit of sports tourism. Well done minor hockey for finishing the year on a good note.
• Also ending the season well is the Nelson Nordic Ski Club. It was a fantastic season with 790 members still itching to get on the trails when possible. The spring conditions can be icy in the mornings but soften up as the day progresses with trails closing for the season on March 31.
Improvements to infrastructure will occur over the off season, so look for the work-bee notices. The club wishes to thank everyone for a great season.
• Whitewater Ski Racing Club is still in full swing. The Teck sponsored Kooteny Zone Finals race for U12-U16 ski racers takes place at Whitewater March 29 and 30. The best skiers from Fernie, Red, Kimberly, Salmo and Whitewater will be racing Slalom and GS on the Bonanza run.
On April 6, the ski team will set up at Whitewater’s Beach Party to apply storage wax to skis and snowboards before they are put away for the summer — with a suggested donation of $10 toward the club.
• Attention all coaches: The NCCP Coaching course Competition Introduction Part A will be run in Nelson on April 12 and 13. This level includes three modules, Making Ethical Decisions, Planning a Practice and Nutrition. It is the non-sport specific entry level for all coaches. Please contact email@example.com or call 250-352-3989 to pre-register. Only five spots left, so register asap. Exact cost and venue to be confirmed.
• Looking toward spring and summer activities, a reminder that Nelson Little League Baseball spring registration closes March 31 when team selections begin. First regular season house league games will start about April 14. Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit the Little League website at nelsonbaseball.ca for a registration form and schedule.
• Kootenay Chaos Track Club just finished a very successful indoor season and will be heading outdoors for spring and summer competition season in the first week of April. They will be meeting at Lakeside Park at the west end entrance on Mondays and Wednesdays at 3:30 p.m. For further information you can contact Alex at email@example.com.
• Glacier Gymnastics Club spring session classes begin March 31 and go to June 14. There are still spaces left in all programs — for ages 20 months to adult. Visit glaciergymnastics.com for program information, or 250-352-2227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Rhythmic Gymnastics spring session runs Tuesdays from April 3 to June 10 at South Nelson school. Learn to dance and flow with ribbons, hoops, balls, scarves and more, in this fun and creative recreational programs for girls ages six and up. Contact Rhythmic Dimensions at 250-505-1812 or email@example.com.