Pedal to the medal in the second half works for Cowichan Piggies

Carlin Hamstra is a key member of the Cowichan First Division Piggies and hooked up with his brother Danny for a try. - Andrew Leong/file
Carlin Hamstra is a key member of the Cowichan First Division Piggies and hooked up with his brother Danny for a try.
— image credit: Andrew Leong/file

It took one half for the Cowichan Rugby Club's First Division Piggies to get it going again after the long Christmas break.

It was only 15-11 for the Piggies at halftime in their return game against the Port Alberni Black Sheep, but then they turned on the afterburners for a convincing 41-18 victory.

However, "the score didn't depict how hard Port Alberni played,'' noted Cowichan's Andrew Gudmundseth.

Cowichan got two tries from Gabe Farrell and one each from Robbie McDonnell, Owen Wood, Carlin Hamstra and the new guy, Jordan Weisner. Wood also had a penalty goal and four converts.

Port Alberni always provides tough competition and Cowichan felt like it owed the Black Sheep one after a previous meeting before the break.

"Still smarting from a good beat-down they put on us just before the break, the boys came out ready and fired up to play,'' noted Cowichan coach Gord McGeachy.

Cowichan dominated the opening 20 minutes on its home park at the Herd Road Grounds that led to tries by Farrell and Wood plus a convert and penalty from Wood.

"We took our foot off the gas and Port was able to claw their way back into the game late in the half with two penalties and a try,'' noted McGeachy.

Immediately after halftime, however, McDonnell went over for a try after a great solo effort and Wood converted.

The scoring continued with Danny Hamstra setting up brother Carlin, who still had lots of work to do but found his way over for a try converted by Wood.

Farrell notched his second try of the match, as Cowichan started to run away with it. The scoring was rounded out by Weisner, who stretched his run out to the corner for a try.

"All in all, a great team effort and a well-played match by both sides,'' McGeachy indicated.

Cowichan went back to work at Nanaimo on the weekend and travels to Velox next Saturday. The Second Division played a game against Vancouver Island University, entering a team in the league for the first time.

The Cowichan women's team was still awaiting word on when its schedule would restart.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.