Letters

Practice barbecue safety

I am hoping that you can find a spot to pass on this reminder now that barbecue season is in progress.

We had a terrible accident last year with a propane tank explosion. My husband was seriously burned over most of his body. He is recovering slowly and still has a couple of surgeries ahead. He was in the hospital for several months.

Our reminder is please do not have your spare tank anywhere near the tank that is being used. They can be stored side by side, but if you are cooking, please put the spare tank some distance away.

Our accident involved a valve leak in the tank in use and because the spare tank beside got too hot, the pressure relief valve expelled propane and ignited the leaking valve into a fireball.

My husband – who was a few feet away – was engulfed in the flame for only a few seconds, but the damage was very severe. We just want this message to get to as many people so it doesn’t happen to anyone else.

 

Del Letendre

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Updated: Crash cuts power to over 3,000 Langley homes
 
UPDATE: Speed and alcohol likely factors in dramatic 16 Avenue crash
 
Irreplaceable album lost forever
MLAs shake fingers in quake exercise
 
Off-duty Maple Ridge officer nabs drunk driver
 
Liberal MLA OK for a second run
Memorial Hall rededicated to all veterans
 
Kwantlen trades program eyes equipment upgrade
 
Surrey RCMP seek car theft suspects