- BC Games
Connect with Us
REAL ESTATE: Clients by the numbers
By Sarah Baikie
At RE/MAX Check Realty, when we sell a property we have to complete a brief survey about the buyer.
Our admin department has been tracking our survey results since 2010. Our brokerages primary focus is the source of the client, reason for purchase and how the buyer was introduced to the property.
The British Columbia Real Estate Association also conducts an annual survey, however our in house survey I find most useful as a Realtor.
- 42 per cent of buyers are from within the Campbell River area, 24 per cent of buyers are from elsewhere on Vancouver Island, other B.C. nine per cent, Alberta nine per cent, Vancouver three per cent and Victoria 2.4 per cent. It pays to market both locally and online.
- Before their purchase, 40 per cent of buyers have lived in the community for less than a year. Buyers try before they buy!
- 49 per cent of buyers purchase their home for retirement. In 2010 it was only 40 per cent and 2011 43 per cent. Baby Boomer alert!
- 71 per cent of the buyers purchase a single family home, eight per cent apartment condo, six per cent patio home, 0.7 per cent acreage with house. Island Select Homes are gaining attention with their affordable and Baby Boomer friendly ranchers in Jubilee Estates that come with smaller gardens, detached shop and RV parking
- 36 per cent of buyers first become aware of a property by their Realtor bringing it to their attention, 34 per cent the internet, three per cent relative or friend, 12 per cent signage, seven per cent MLS catalogue, two per cent newspaper. The Homefinder is a talked about and well-read lift-out which I suspect is typically where buyers source open houses, sellers shop for a listing agent, and the curious community check out what homes in their neighbourhood are going for.
- 27 per cent of buyers choose a Realtor recommended to them by a friend or family member, 16 per cent prior client, eight per cent out of town Realtor referral, nine per cent trolling the internet, five per cent walking into the office.
As a Realtor I genuinely appreciate my brokerage’s collation of stats, it better directs my advertising and marketing, it’s what helps me to know how to get my listings sold!