News

Langford firefighters kept busy despite intermittent rain

Despite the occasional overcast day and drizzle of rain, fires are still cropping up all over the West Shore.

At approximately 2 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 19, Langford Fire Rescue responded to a bark mulch fire in front of Jack’s Place pub on Country Club Way on Bear Mountain. Inspector Chris Aubrey said the fire had likely been caused by a tossed lit cigarette.

Later that morning at 10 a.m. fire fighters responded to smoke coming from a large pile of bark mulch on an industrial site at the end of Langford parkway. Staff at the site attempted to pull the mulch pile apart with an excavator to extinguish the spontaneous combustion fire, resulting in a flare-up of flames when air reached the smouldering area within. Staff was able to extinguish the fire within two hours using their excavator and water trucks under supervision of the Langford fire department.

And last Saturday (Aug. 16) fire fighters responded to a second fire at the field beside Belmont Secondary, at Jacklin and Jenkins roads. Recent rainfall kept the blaze from spreading substantially, though the fire department is concerned that the fire may have been set deliberately. The first fire occurred Aug. 5, and blackened a substantial portion of the grass field.

acowan@goldstreamgazette.com

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Fraser hospitals screening for ebola, will isolate any victims in Surrey
 
New film about Riverview Hospital released
 
Abbotsford teen signs three-book deal
B.C. cities demand greater oil pipeline scrutiny, safety
 
Building community starts with a bowl of soup, says Victoria maven
 
Camosun College seeks to become scholarly, community leader in First Nations research
Local foodies head to Terra Madre
 
Bear Buzz - October 1
 
Education Minister: School boards knew of CUPE costs