Nelson police seek spitter

Nelson police dealt responded to a complaint of a spitting bicyclist and a stolen car over the weekend. - Nelson Star file photo
Nelson police dealt responded to a complaint of a spitting bicyclist and a stolen car over the weekend.
— image credit: Nelson Star file photo

A bicyclist who nearly ran into a moving car on Lakeside Drive on Sunday afternoon added insult to injury by spitting at the driver.

Acting Sgt. Brian Weber says the driver was “shocked and frightened” when she saw the man veer into her lane, heading straight for her vehicle.

“She found herself an uninvited and unwilling participant in a vehicular game of chicken. The participants were a 5,000 pound automobile versus a 25 pound bicycle.”

At the last second, the bicyclist veered around the vehicle, narrowly avoiding a collision. As the man rode past, he spat on the windshield and again into the vehicle’s open window.

The driver was “shocked and disgusted” but recognized the man and called his name.

“He returned to the scene and apologized for his vile outburst,” Weber said. “He offered to clean his spittle from the interior of her vehicle.  The apology was not accepted.”

The complainant told police the spitter’s name. They’re now on the lookout for him.

Sleeping passenger + unattended keys = creepy incident

Police say you should always lock your vehicle and never leave your keys unattended, even for a moment — to avoid creepy incidents like this one.

Early Saturday, a driver parked downtown Nelson to move some of his belongings into a home. He left his female passenger to sleep in the front seat, with the keys in the ignition.

Much to his chagrin, when he came back to collect another load of belongings, the car was gone.

The passenger later reported that she was awoken by a man touching her on the back, who she didn’t recognize. She asked who he was and he replied: “Don’t worry, I’m your daddy.”

He then drove on. When the car stopped to let pedestrians cross the road, the woman got out. The unknown man also exited and walked away.

Police were notified about an hour later. The vehicle was recovered and a “person of interest” was soon identified, although police hadn’t yet spoken to him as of Monday.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...