Family angered over no charges in fatal hit-and-run
A family is angered that no charges will be laid against a contractor for the RCMP who left the scene after killing Andrew Leduc last year.
A civilian consultant working with Mounties on a traffic accident investigation was involved in a fatal hit-and-run accident on Aug. 7, 2013 in the 19500-block of Langley Bypass.
The driver of the semi-bobtail was traveling eastbound in the curb lane at 3 a.m. when he struck and killed Leduc, 37, of Langley.
The driver did not stop to render assistance, but kept driving.
Leduc died at the scene.
The consultant driving the semi-truck involved in the fatal hit-and-run had been working that day on a re-creation of an accident involving a semi-truck that killed Surrey RCMP Const. Adrian Oliver in November 2012 at the intersection of 64 Avenue and 148 Street.
On Thursday, RCMP said there will be no criminal charges against the driver.
Leduc's brother Adam told CBC News he was extremely upset to hear the news.
"I was pretty shocked; I was pretty angry," he told CBC. "I can't see how you can hit a guy like that, leave him lying in the street to die and continue on and no charges whatsoever, not even a traffic ticket."
Surrey RCMP Major Crimes Section concluded its investigation after eight months, but Mounties called in the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner (OPCC) to ensure the integrity of the investigation.
This month, the OPCC ruled the RCMP finding was correct – that there was no criminality to the incident.
At the time of the accident, the RCMP called the Independent Investigations Office (IIO), but as the driver was not a police officer, the incident did not fall under the purview of the independent investigators.
A final report from the OPCC is expected in the coming weeks.
In the meantime, Surrey RCMP will be meeting with the victim's family in Penticton to discuss the reasons for the findings.
~with files from CBC News