Connect with Us
Two Chilliwack men arrested in largest drug seizure in western Canada
Two Chilliwack men are among five arrested in what the Alberta Law Enforcement Response Team (ALERT) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) are calling one of the largest drug seizures in Western Canada.
Nearly $9 million worth of marijuana, hashish, and heroin was seized after a series of arrests in the Edmonton region.
The record drug seizure included:
• 292 kilograms of marijuana, with an estimated street value of $2.9 million.
• 14.1 kilograms of heroin, with an estimated street value of $5.64 million.
• 6 kilograms of hashish, with an estimated street value of $150,000.
ALERT Edmonton concluded the five-month drug trafficking investigation on June 4. Three Edmonton men were arrested at a west Edmonton storage facility and 95 kilograms of marijuana and six kilograms of hashish were seized. Meanwhile, two men driving a semi-tractor trailer were arrested at the CBSA’s commercial facility at the Edmonton International Airport. An inspection of the trailer found 197 kilograms of marijuana and 14 bricks of heroin.
The heroin seizure is the largest ever in Alberta, eclipsing the previous high of 12 kilograms seized by CBSA officials at the Calgary airport on April 24, 2013. The marijuana seizure is believed to be the largest-ever in Western Canada, surpassing the 200 kilogram bust by Edmonton Police Service in April 2014 and a 256 kilogram seizure by CFSEU-British Columbia in November 2012.
A total of five people have been arrested, and are facing numerous drug charges:
• Dustin Stone, a 24-year-old man from Edmonton.
• Douglas Dach, a 51-year-old man from Edmonton.
• Samuel Hutsulak, a 24-year-old man from Edmonton.
• Barry Grindrod, a 55-year-old man from Chilliwack.
• Kodie Grindrod, a 21-year-old man from Chilliwack.
This news comes almost a year after one of the biggest drug busts in Alberta’s history.
Last July, Edmonton police said they made the largest seizure of GHB, or the date-rape drug, ever, with 106 litres found at a house near Manning Drive and 146th Avenue.
Police also seized one kilogram of cocaine, 500 grams of crack cocaine, equipment used to convert and package cocaine during the search, as well as $15,000 in cash.