Connect with Us
Fundraiser for victims of Langley barn fire
A Langley family has lost everything as a result of the Sunday (June 1) fire that killed 17 horses, most of them standardbred racers.
Bill and Laurie Davis were described by Tanis Pearson as a “prominent horse racing family” in Langley, with over 35 years of experience.
“They are leaders in the racing industry and pioneers in their exceptional horsemanship,” said Pearson, a family friend, who is acting as spokesperson for the Davises.
“They’re such a phenomenal family. They’re a household name.”
In addition to the loss of the 17 horses, including a miniature pony, the fire destroyed about $100,000 worth of gear, Pearson said.
“This is such a huge tragedy.”
A trust fund has been set up to help the family rebuild.
Donations can be made to “The Davis Family Trust” at any Aldergrove Credit Union.
Money or E-transfers can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the password being mornasbigboy.
A pub night fundraiser is planned for June 18 at the Town Hall pub in Langley at 19640 64 Ave.
Tickets can be purchased at A & T Equestrian in Cloverdale at 4615 190 St., or contact 604-723-7250 to make arrangements to have them dropped off.
The organizers are also searching for prizes and sponsors for the event.
Pearson said donated equipment for harness racing, such as buckets, halters, stall gates, fly masks, sprays, grooming kits and any other items necessary for horse ownership, can be dropped at A & T Equestrian.
She said offers of assistance have been coming in from across the country.
“The family is very humbled and appreciative of the generosity and the outreach from the community,” Pearson said.
“It is overwhelming and amazing.”
The horses were killed in a massive barn fire which broke out about 2 p.m. on the All Seasons mushroom farm property on 224 Street, near 40 Avenue. Langley Township fire department responded in force, but was forced to rely on tanker trucks, as there are no fire hydrants in the area. The horses were inside the barn at the time the fire broke out and were unable to be rescued.