UPDATE: Protestors arrested after chaining themselves to gate at North Burnaby refinery

Protestors have chained themselves to a gate at Chevron
Protestors have chained themselves to a gate at Chevron's North Burnaby refinery to draw attention to their concerns about fracking, climate change and the company's Pacific Trail Pipeline proposal between Summit Lake and a liquid natural gas facility near Kitimat.
— image credit: Contributed Photo

Three protestors were arrested Friday night after chaining themselves to a gate at Chevron's North Burnaby refinery that morning to draw attention to concerns about fracking and climate change.

They were arrested at about 10:30 p.m. after ignoring a court order that Chevron had secured, said Burnaby RCMP Staff Sgt. Major John Buis.

They were released on a promise to appear in court at a later date.

Police are reviewing the case with Crown counsel to determine whether any charges will be laid. Charges are being contemplated for contravening a court order and mischief, Buis said.

A press release issued by spokesperson Shirley Samples identified the three as Dan Wallace, Mia Nissen and Adam Gold, and noted they are not associated with any organizations.

“We want to demonstrate the extreme measures that ordinary citizens are willing to take," said the release. "We want to show that each person has the ability to act, and that we must act for the sake of ourselves and future generations. Like many others taking a stand, we feel a moral obligation.”

They oppose Chevron's Pacific Trail Pipeline proposal, a 487-kilometre natural gas pipeline between Summit Lake, B.C. and the Kitimat Liquid Natural Gas facility site at Bish Cove on the northwest coast of B.C.

Samples' statement said the trio intended to stay locked to the gate until Chevron and its partners withdraw permit applications and stop all construction on the pipeline.

They were using bicycle D-locks and chains secured to the metal posts to stop truck traffic into the refinery, it said.

But the protestors were chained to the Eton Street gate, and not the main gate on Willingdon Avenue, said a somewhat puzzled Jorges Marco, spokesperson for the Chevron Burnaby refinery.

As a result, the action was not affecting the refinery's operations at all, Marco said Friday afternoon. "We continue to be able to move product safely."

The protestors were already chained by 8 a.m., he said., and on Friday afternoon they had about 10 supporters keeping them company in the "peaceful" protest.

"They're sitting there close to the fence and putting out a lot of stuff on Facebook and Twitter."

Chevron beefed up its security, calling in additional security staff to assist.

"At Chevron, we always respect every individual's right to express their opinions," Marco said. "Right now, our focus and our concern is mainly safety, safety of everyone, including the protestors, our personnel and the safety of our operations in general."

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...