- BC Games
Connect with Us
Provincial Skills Contest at Tradex in Abbotsford
Thirteen Abbotsford students competed today in the Provinical Skills Contest at Tradex in Abbotsford.
The event drew together more than 400 participants who competed in 40 categories, including plumbing, hairdressing, the culinary arts, brick masonry, carpentry, fashion design, computer animation and more.
They qualified for the provincials by winning gold medals at regional events, including the Upper Fraser Valley Regional Skills Competition held March 6 at UFV in Chilliwack.
Some silver-medal winners were also invited to participate in the provincial event after gold-medal qualifiers were unable to attend.
The gold medal recipients in each category of the B.C. event advance to the Skills Canada Competition taking place June 4 to 7 in Toronto.
Abbotsford students who competed at Tradex were:
• Jordan Boyes, Robert Bateman Secondary, in automotive service (in photo at left);
• Alvin Bergen, W.J. Mouat Secondary, in carpentry;
• Josephine Wold, Robert Bateman, and Jessica Fuchs, Yale Secondary, in culinary arts;
• Travis Klassen, W.J. Mouat, in electrical wiring;
• Dawson Procee, Abbotsford Senior Secondary, in welding;
• Tyler Wilson, Yale Secondary, and Jade Lui, Rick Hansen Secondary, in hairdressing;
• Santiago Parades-Mayorga, Robert Bateman Secondary, in architectural drafting;and
• Jadon Plett, Sam Weber, Brielle Muler and Jessie Gunther, W.J. Mouat, in virtual TV and video.
Last year, three Abbotsford students – Patty Chomseng and Conor Nolan in 3D character computer animation and Amie Peters in culinary arts – won gold at the national event.
To view more photos from the provincial competition, visit Abbotsford News Flickr.