News

Dumpster fire quickly doused

  -
— image credit:

At about 8:30 this morning (March 18) the Nelson Fire Department responded to a report of a dumpster on fire.  Both on duty members responded immediately with the assistant fire chief.

Upon arrival, smoke was observed coming from a recycling dumpster.  The first arriving crew’s primary objective was stopping the smoldering fire from progressing.

The fire was quickly knocked down to preserve any evidence for an investigation.

In all, three firefighters responded to the incident with one fire engine and one utility vehicle.  No injuries were reported as a result of this incident. The cause of the fire appears to be careless disposal of cigarette butts.

Nelson Fire Rescue would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to please take care in extinguishing your smoking material. The use of garbage cans, dumpsters, plant potters, and bark mulch to extinguish your smoking material has a high likelihood of causing a fire.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.