- BC Games
Connect with Us
Surrey man who drugged, robbed and raped victims gets two more years in jail
A Surrey man has been sentenced to two more years behind bars for drugging, sexually assaulting and robbing various victims over several years.
Steven Beszedes pleaded guilty last spring to 15 criminal charges, including one of sexual assault, and multiple counts of criminal negligence, robbery and administering drugs to commit an indictable offence. Nine other charges were stayed.
Beszedes has already been in custody for three years, since his arrest in late 2010.
During his sentencing hearing last month, the Crown recommended Beszedes spend a further four years in jail, while his defence lawyer suggested an additional two years prison and three years probation would provide a longer supervision period.
On Friday (Dec. 6), B.C. Supreme Court Justice James Williams opted for the latter, keeping the 48-year-old in jail for another two years, followed by three years probation.
The court heard that Beszedes bought a white powdered drug online, used it himself and then offered it to others in hopes he'd be able to sell it to them in the future.
His victims, all but one of whom were women, would ingest the drug and immediately fall unconscious. It was then that Beszedes would take advantage of them. The victims were often vulnerable people such as drug addicts and sex trade workers. Many of the women woke up, sometimes a day later, naked or missing clothing, often in unsafe areas like parking lots or wooded areas.
His only male victim was a 69-year-old who was seeking a casual sexual encounter and connected with Beszedes on Craigslist. Beszedes and a woman went to his rural Langley home and offered him drugs, which he took and instantly passed out. Beszedes and the woman stole a basketful of the man's belongings, including jewelry, cameras, credit and debit cards and computers.
The man was found by his landlord and was taken to hospital, where tests revealed he had benzodiazepine – a strong sedative – in his system. Crown prosecutors believe it was the same drug Beszedes gave his other victims.
A victim impact statement written by the man said the attack had altered his life forever and he no longer trusts anyone.
A psychiatric report said Beszedes lacks insight into his offences and is at moderate risk to reoffend. His sentence also includes a DNA order and a lifetime firearms ban.