News

Fire causes evacuation at Port Coquitlam Dairy Queen

A Dairy Queen employee suffered minor burns after a kitchen fire broke out at the restaurant chain
A Dairy Queen employee suffered minor burns after a kitchen fire broke out at the restaurant chain's Port Coquitlam location on Tuesday night.
— image credit: GARY McKENNA PHOTO/THE TRI-CITY NEWS

A Dairy Queen employee suffered minor burns after a kitchen fire broke out at the restaurant chain's Port Coquitlam location on Tuesday night.

The incident occurred at around 4:30 p.m. and the Shaughnessy Street building that houses the restaurant was quickly evacuated.

PoCo fire chief Nick Delmonico said flames from the blaze were suppressed by an onsite extinguisher system and firefighters mostly had to deal with smoke issues after the arrived.

"The biggest thing wasn't really the fire but the air quality," he told The Tri-City News on Wednesday. "It wasn't overly huge. Essentially it was a small kitchen fire."

Delmonico was not sure the extent of the employee's injuries but said they were not serious or life-threatening.

Investigators believe the incident started when the deep-frier malfunctioned and overheated, causing a small grease fire.

gmckenna@tricitynews.com

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.