News

Hair dryer determined as cause of salon fire in Saanich

A towel placed over a smoking hair dryer led to a fire in a hair and nail salon Saturday evening in Saanich.

An employee at Brooke's Secret Nail and Hair Design at 4011 Quadra St. noticed smoke coming from a handheld hair dryer around 5:30 p.m. A towel was placed over the hair dryer to pat it down, but it quickly ignited and spread.

Saanich fire crews quickly attended the scene and knocked the fire down, with minimal structural damage to the surrounding businesses. Two neighbouring food outlets – Sarpino's Pizzeria and Indian Food Market – both suffered smoke damage.

Rich Pala, acting assistant chief for fire prevention with the Saanich Fire Department, says what caused the electrical fire is still unknown.

"What we don't know yet it whether it was the fan (in the hair dryer) that failed or the heating element," he said.

Fire, smoke and water damage to the building is estimated at $75,000, and damage to the contents in all three businesses is estimated at $50,000.

kslavin@saanichnews.com

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Lack of addiction treatment flagged by crime panel
 
RCMP address Safeway bomb threat
 
Mine breach panel receives submissions
MLA sues political opponent for incident at 2013 all candidates forum
 
#UsedHelps: Connecting Business with Canadian Charities
 
Christmas Festival may become an annual Willoughby event
Court to decide if Charter rights were breached at massive Chilliwack grow op
 
Virk shuffled to new job after Kwantlen flap
 
NDP blasts lottery corporation spending