By the Way: Merridale juiced about Project Q
• Co-owner Janet Docherty tells us Merridale Cidery is juiced about Project Q. A collaborative project between Merridale and Cowichan Green Community, it will see the release a limited-quantity cider using a mixture of apples coming from the Cowichan Green Community’s FruitSave Project. It debuted March 16 at a St. Paddy’s Dinner and Dance at Merridale featuring live music by the Sugar Beetles.
• We had a big smile on our faces after a recent visit from Shane Doucette of Island Canine Care. Shane tells us that when he finishes renovations on his Cowichan Lake Road home, he plans to use the leftover material to build a new News Leader Pictorial paper drop box to replace the one in his neighbourhood that’s getting a little run-down. Thanks, Shane!
• The Vancouver Island Health Authority has been named one of Canada’s best diversity employers, and at least one local is feeling pretty good about it. Steve Sxwithul’txw, VIHA’s coordinator for aboriginal recruitment, was in Toronto to receive the award for VIHA’s creation of an Aboriginal recruitment and retention strategy to promote careers in healthcare to Aboriginal peoples.
• Cowichan community policing manager Carol-Ann Rolls invites young locals to submit a name suggestion for one of 10 German Shepherd puppies soon to be born at the Police Dog Service Training Centre in Innisfail, Alberta. For information on how to enter, go to rcmp-grc.gc.ca and search Name the Puppy 2013.
• Marja Nowacki, gatekeeper of all kinds of worthy community activities as the receptionist for Volunteer Cowichan tells us volunteers are needed for Friendly Visitors “an amazing program where we connect a senior in our community who may feel isolated or lonely with one of our Friendly Visitors. If you are interested in being one of these exceptional people please contact: 250-748-2133.”
• The Duncan Cowichan Chamber of Commerce recently welcomed Dwight School Canada as a major award sponsor. School head Jerry Salvador is expected to present the Volunteer of the Year Award Black Tie April 13.