Police BRIEFS: Robberies, MVA, shoplifters
Central Saanich Police Service
• An accident saw Central Saanich police called to the corner of East Saanich and Haldon Roads on Feb. 1 just before 2 p.m. A 32-year-old female driver made a left turn off of Haldon Road and struck a northbound vehicle traveling along East Saanich Road. The North Saanich woman was issued a ticket for failing to yield.
• Two people were cited for driving while impaired on Feb. 1 in Central Saanich. A 90-day immediate roadside prohibition and a 30-day impound were handed out to a 37-year-old Sidney man just before 9 p.m. on Keating X Road. Later that night, a three-day immediate roadside prohibition was given to a young woman who blew a warn twice on the roadside screening device after she’d been stopped near the intersection of West Saanich and Clarke roads.
Sidney North Saanich RCMP
• On Feb. 4, loss prevention officers at the Safeway on Beacon Avenue attempted to detain a man and a woman who were in possession of over $400 in stolen merchandise. A struggle ensued and Sidney North Saanich RCMP officers attended and arrested the man. The female fled prior to the police arriving.
• Overnight Jan. 30, a break and enter occurred at the Sidney Star Cinema. Entry was gained through an exterior door and cash was taken.
• On Feb. 3, RCMP responded to reports of an intoxicated man who had been denied boarding at the Swartz Bay ferry terminal. Police found the man to be in breach of his conditions to abstain from the use of alcohol. The man was arrested and held for court appearance.