News

Garbage can fire damages Abbotsford suite

A fire broke out in an Abbotsford apartment on Wednesday night.

At approximately 6:15 p.m. the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) responded to a residential structure fire in a suite at 31790 Union Ave.

The fire was reported by the building manager who entered the suite after he heard a smoke alarm sounding.  He discovered smoke and flames and used the building's fire alarm system to evacuate the apartment.

Fire crews arrived to find smoke in the hallway and tenants evacuating.

Fire crews made quick entry into the first floor suite and extinguished the small blaze which was located in a garbage can under the kitchen sink.

The occupants were not home at the time of the fire and returned to find fire crews on scene.

Seven fire vehicles and 30 fire fighters attended.

Fire and water damage was contained to the kitchen area with a damage estimate of $2,500. The cause of the fire is believed to be discarded smoking material in the garbage can.

The Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service would like to remind citizens to always dispose of cigarettes, matches and other smoking related items in a non-combustible container.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Black Press launches 4Good crowdfunding initiative
 
Transit contract avoids mid-referendum labour spat
 
Another SkyTrain shutdown snarls transit commute
Transit fares jump 10 per cent in January
 
Body of missing Abbotsford boater recovered in lake
 
District puts deficit payback plan in place
Highway speed limits, tire rules reviewed
 
Negotiated contract could cost $350K
 
Confrontation over TV scam attracts attention, leads to arrest