Banned driver caught behind the wheel again
A 62-year-old Kamloops man who was under a driving ban when he allegedly struck and killed a woman with his truck seven weeks ago has been caught driving again.
Kamloops RCMP received a tip the man — who is still prohibited from driving — had driven to Lake City Casino on Victoria Street downtown in a truck registered to a family member, said RCMP Staff Sgt. Grant Learned.
Mounties staked out the truck, then conducted a traffic stop soon after the man drove away shortly after midnight on Wednesday, Jan. 9.
The truck was impounded for seven days and the driver has been issued a ticket under provincial motor-vehicle restrictions for driving while prohibited.
Because the new charge is not a Criminal Code offence, Learned said, the driver cannot be identified.
On Nov. 21, 2012, police allege the same man hit Valerie Brook, 67, as she was crossing Victoria Street at Sixth Avenue in the crosswalk at about 5:25 p.m.
RCMP said an F-150 truck was making a left turn onto Victoria from Sixth when it struck Brook.
She was pronounced dead on arrival at Royal Inland Hospital.
Learned said he expects reports will be received soon from mechanical and other analysts who have been reconstructing the accident to provide more information.
Those reports take up to eight weeks to be completed and sent to officers, Learned said.
The investigating officers will review the reports and determine whether to recommend Criminal Code charges when they forward the file to Crown.
Learned said the driver has a history of violating driving prohibitions and, prior to his recent ticket, his ban had been extended to Nov. 2, 2014.
Learned said he expects the ban will be extended further following this incident.