Police called out to brawls and possible zombie attack on New Year's Eve

It was a night of drunken fights, loud parties, a topped-up drunk tank and even a teenager trying to escape from zombies for the Coquitlam RCMP and Port Moody Police on New Year's Eve.

Coquitlam RCMP Cpl. Jamie Chung said Monday night was "busy and steady" for Mounties, with several fights — one involving a group of people that resulted in one man needing staples to close the gash on his head and the other between two people arguing over figurines. One person was removed from that altercation but it wasn't clear what happened to the figurines.

There were calls about "drunks yelling/stumbling on the street and sleeping on the road," in addition to at least 12 noise complaints, according to Chung.

And the teen trying to escape from zombies?

"When we got there, we found him passed out on his vehicle," Chung said. "We determined he did not suffer any serious injuries (whether they were inflicted by zombies or not) and he was transported to hospital."

In Port Moody, Const. Luke van Winkel said the evening was a tame one that included drunken arguments at parties, loitering youths and post-midnight noise complaints.

The night kicked off with a pedestrian being hit by a vehicle at about 7:30 p.m. The woman was crossing Noons Creek Drive in a crosswalk when a driver turning left onto Ungless Way hit her. The driver stopped and the woman was taken to hospital with minor injuries; no charges are being sought at this point and alcohol was not a factor.

Later in the evening, officers responded to reports of about 30 teenagers on Ioco Road who were hitting buses as they stopped and banging on the windows; they fled before police arrived.

Another group of youths figured the area around Crossroads Hospice — where people who are terminally ill spend their final days — was a good place to set off firecrackers.

A 17-year-old youth was arrested for assault after a fight with a 15-year-old over the older boy's sister; he was released on a promise to appear and turned over to his guardian.

And one unlucky man who went for a quick walk at 2 a.m. got a bad start to his new year — when he returned 15 minutes later, he discovered someone had walked through his unlocked door and stolen his laptop computer.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...