News

Fire destroys Abbotsford apartment

An unattended pot of oil on a stove is being attributed as the cause of a fire that destroyed an Abbotsford apartment last Friday night.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was called to the Abbotsford Place apartment building – located at 32850 George Ferguson Way – at about 11:30 p.m.

When crews arrived, heavy black smoke was coming from a second-floor suite, and the unit quickly became engulfed in flames.

Crews quickly contained the fire and kept it from spreading to the other units in the three-storey building.

The suite was destroyed, and 12 other apartments suffered heavy smoke and water damage, said Assistant Fire Chief Ron Hull.

Two city buses were dispatched to house residents of the building while crews battled the blaze.

Most of the occupants were able to return to their suites once the fire was out, but several residents required temporary housing. There were no injuries.

Hull said a total of 48 firefighters were on the scene, along with 12 firetrucks from six different fire halls.

The cost of the fire damage is estimated at between $100,000 and $200,000.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Arrests of pipeline protesters in Burnaby signal start of long battle
 
RCMP members recognized for bravery
 
Chilliwack hillsides plan takes servicing into account
Trails society to start with trail rehab in Chilliwack River Valley
 
Seven Days in Chilliwack - Nov. 20 to 26
 
Quebec to increase daycare fees
Coquitlam man charged with vandalizing cars in New Westminster, Burnaby
 
Rare pinto deer shot and killed
 
Province may revoke approval of TWU law school