News

Shed destroyed by fire

One spark is all it took to burn a structure full of cedar shakes to the ground Thursday.

A storage shed in the 8400 block of Silver Star Road (past the Foothills) was fully involved when firefighters arrived on scene, after receiving the call at 2:30 p.m.

BX-Swan Lake Fire Chief Bill Wacey says the blaze was accidental.

"A gentleman was attempting to start a generator and something sparked," said Wacey, noting that the man got out of the shed safely.

The 14-by-14 foot shed housed cedar shakes, for roofing, and also contained another concerning ignition source.

"We had a couple of containers full of fuel, an oil and gas mixture, which created a bit of issues," said Wacey.

Firefighters were unable to save the shed, now a pile of charred remains, but contained the blaze from spreading to the nearby home and other storage facilities on site.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Body found in Langley
 
New multi-user trail opens in south Aldergrove
 
Chilliwack audience hears of the enduring relevance of Rotary
Getting to the needle point
 
A fundraiser for kids – Y not?
 
Fire destroys home in Agassiz
Taekwando student helps two in distress, while her computers and university course work stolen
 
Photo: Pre-race preparations
 
Cory Schneider returns; Bo Horvat staying in NHL; Canucks to honour Pat Quinn