Connect with Us
UPDATED: Aspenwood elementary evacuated as a precaution
Students at Aspenwood elementary school were evacuated this morning (Thursday) and classes were cancelled as a precautionary measure while the Port Moody fire department tested air quality.
School District 43 spokesperson Cheryl Quinton said two children fainted while singing, both of them receiving minor cuts, and two more children and an adult staff person felt light-headed. All five were taken to hospital and the Port Moody fire department and a hazardous materials assessment team conducted air quality tests as a precautionary measure.
The evacuated Aspenwood students were kept outdoors for about 45 minutes but were allowed to return to the gym when no air quality problems were found.
By noon, Quinton said, the school decided to announce early dismissal for students and request that parents pick up their children to permit more testing.
It was a day when early dismissal was already planned for scheduled parent teacher conferences.
However, preliminary results of testing revealed "nothing of concern" and no sign of a gas leak, as some media had reported, according to Quinton.
"I heard around 2 p.m from the principal, air quality was fine. School will resume tomorrow," Quinton said.