News

Fire at the transfer station in Williams Lake Monday morning

A fire broke out this morning (Nov. 26) at the transfer station in Williams Lake at around 8:45 a.m.. The fire, which has now been extinguished, caused approximately $50,000 worth of damage to the structure the Cariboo Regional District confirmed.

The fire began when CRD contractor, Peterson Contracting Ltd., started up the 966C rubber tired front-end loader in the transfer station building and it ignited.

The operator tried unsuccessfully to extinguish the flames, and subsequently called 9-1-1 to dispatch the Williams Lake Fire Department.

Peterson Contracting Ltd.'s comptroller Ryan Bailey said the loader was around 20 to 25 years old.

While the fire was still active, there was the odd "boom" sound coming from the building. Bailey, who did not witness the fire, said the sound was most likely tires catching on fire.

Fire chief Randy Isfeld said fire crews fought the fire from the outside before going inside.

"There are components that could blow off that machine, which is why we try to have a go at the fire from a distance first and then move up on it once we've got it cooled down."

The Wildwood Volunteer Fire Department also assisted, sending two water venders to assist in fighting the fire.

By 9:40 a.m. the fire was locked down. A follow-up examination of the facility by the fire department determined it was safe to re-open it.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Chilliwack council sends ALC application back for another look
 
Surrey murder victim identifed as Jaylen Sandhu, 17
 
Missing New West woman surfaces in Quebec
You’re never too old to go back
 
COLUMN: Turning garbage into innovation
 
COLUMN: We must take care of our seniors
Pitt Meadows golfer signs with Seattle University
 
Winter Harp back at Arts Centre Theatre
 
Apartment vacancy rates drop, rents rise in Lower Mainland