News

Fire destroys 86-year-old Abbotsford home

A chimney fire in Abbotsford on Sunday morning destroyed a home that an 88-year-old man had lived in since he was two years old.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was called to the blaze on Downes Road, near Ross Road, at about 10:15 a.m. When crews arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the attic.

Assistance Fire Chief Jeff Adams said the fire began in the basement and spread up through the chimney.

"The home is heavily damaged, and not sure if it's going to be repairable or not … It's too early to tell, but it doesn't look good," he said.

The homeowners did not have insurance, he added.

Emergency services is helping the family find alternate accommodation and will assist them in determining their next steps, Adams said.

No further details were available at this time.

 

 

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Police seek Surrey taxi robbery suspect
 
Surrey Urban Winter Market starts Oct. 29
 
VIDEO: Fraser Health officials discuss Ebola preparation
Election 2014: Traffic top of mind in this campaign
 
Coast Salish tribes gather for water ceremony before NEB hearings
 
B.C. Small Business Month: Celebrate the big in small business
CRMG issues challenge to candidates
 
Generator stolen from fishing village near Agassiz
 
B.C. Muslim Association speaks out on gunman