Connect with Us
BOOKS PLUS: Grab some books and go, and play golf for literacy
• Links to Literacy Golf Tournament: On Aug. 26, you can enjoy a day of golf and fun knowing that you are helping to build a legacy of literacy for your community. Entry fee includes 18 holes of golf, a buffet dinner, food samplers on the course, special contests and a silent auction. Call the library at 604-469-4577 or download a pledge form from at library.portmoody.ca/links.
• Stories Galore and More Kid’s Book Swap: Join the Stories Galore and More ladies for pre-school storytime every Tuesday from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. near the band shell at Rocky Point Park. Celebrate the last session with a special book swap on Aug. 12 sponsored by the library. Bring a new or gently used kids’ book to swap: find new books to love, and pass on old favourites to another family.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Next Reads: On the hunt for a good book? Get hooked on the latest book suggestions from new releases and great classics to bestsellers and hidden gems on the shelves. Next Reads will deliver reading lists from the library to your email inbox. You can subscribe to Next Reads when you visit www.fvrl.ca and look for the Next Reads ad on the slider, or access via Digital Content tab (Databases). Drop by the Terry Fox Library for a demo.
• Grab and Go: Are you adventurous enough to check out a bag of books sight unseen? If you answered “Yes,” then it’s time you take a blind date with a bag of books. Terry Fox Library has bags available for children, teens and adults, these bags feature multiple great reads that have been pre-selected by library staff. Choose from many different genres like action/adventure, Canadiana, popular fiction, romance, science fiction, and more. When you are finished with the books, simply return them through the library book drop as usual.
For more information, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.
• Kids’ Summer Reading Club medal award ceremony: On Aug. 16 at the City Centre branch (10:30 to 11:20 a.m. or 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.), reading club members can bring their completed reading records with their names clearly written on the front and receive their medals. If you cannot attend the award ceremony, you can pick up your medal at the City Centre Ask-Me desk or the Poirier branch information desk any time after Aug. 16 while supplies last. The Poirier Medal ceremony will take place on Sept. 6.
• Raise your profile: Get your community organization listed and promoted in Coquitlam Public Library’s online catalogue. Contact Jay Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
You can check out two featured storytimes in the next week:
• Cottonwood Park: Join librarians at the Book Bus for stories, songs, finger plays and rhymes for the whole family. Share a special moment with your child that will encourage their imagination and build a lifelong love of reading from 12:15 to 12:45 tomorrow (Aug. 9). There will be no storytime if it’s raining.
• Poirier branch: Stories, songs, finger plays and rhymes help children experience independent and group activity, gain pre-reading skills and develop a love of reading. Parents and caregivers, stay with your children and join in the fun. For pre-schoolers, next Wednesday, 10:30 to 11 a.m.; for kids three and younger, next Thursday, 10:30 to 11 a.m.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.library.coquitlam.bc.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.