BOOKS PLUS: Movies, drums and clubs
• Learning Express Library: Want to learn computer basics? Or learn software like Microsoft Office or Adobe Flash? Learn at home for free with Learning Express Library and your Coquitlam library card. Interactive tutorial courses help take your skills to the next level. Visit www.library.coquitlam.bc.ca, then click on the Good Online Stuff button and look for Learning Express Library; or call the info desk at 604-937-4144.
• Book Bus: The library is seeking community support to replace the Book Bus, which was destroyed by fire earlier this year. Donations are accepted at both locations or online, and tax receipts will be issued. Please visit the Book Bus Blog at yourbookbus.com to keep up to date, to comment or to donate.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.library.coquitlam.bc.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Adult Summer Reading Club: Why should kids have all the fun? This year, in addition to PMPL’s popular Kids’ Summer Reading and Teen Reading clubs, the library has launched Port Moody Reads for our adult readers. The club runs to Aug. 31 and anyone 19 or older can join. Pick up an entry form at the library and start reading; drop off a short review and enter to win prizes.
• Movie Madness on Wednesday afternoons: The movie on July 29 will be Rio2. Kids five and older can drop in to the Inlet Theatre from 2 to 4 p.m. every Wednesday afternoon with great family movies. Bring your parents, bring your friends and enjoy an afternoon out. Please note that space is limited.
• Summer Twilight Tales (drop-in): End your busy day with books and rhymes, and discover the very best in story apps. Librarians and kids will sing songs, read books and use digital media to explore stories that preschoolers will love. Summer Twilight Tales are every Tuesday from 6:30 to 7 p.m. in the library’s ParkLane Room, and librarians welcome kids from birth to six years of age accompanied by a parent or caregiver.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Storytime at the Market: Introduce kids to the love of books and language with Storytime. Children and caregivers will enjoy interactive stories, songs, rhymes, and more that will prepare kids to learn to read. Find Fox librarians at the Port Coquitlam Farmer’s Market at Leigh Square, Thursday, Aug. 14, 4 to 4:30 p.m.
• Summer Reading Club wind-up with Uzume Taiko: Pick up your reading club medal and experience the heart-stopping pulse of Japanese taiko drums. Join members of the award-winning Uzume Taiko as they take you on an intimate journey through the world of taiko. Registration is required for this event, which takes place on Monday, Aug. 25 from 11 to 11:45 p.m. at the Leigh Square bandshell.
For more information, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.