SENIORS SCENE: Plenty of options to stay fit
White Rock Leisure Services has the fitness class for you.
Whatever your strength or ability, there is a variety of classes to meet your exercise needs.
View the Leisure Guide to find out more about Stretch and Strength, Keep Fit for 55+, Balance for 65+, Get Up & Go, Cardio Circuit for 55+, zumba and yoga.
Class locations include Kent Street Centre, White Rock Community Centre, Centennial Park Leisure Centre and the Horst & Emmy Werner Centre for Active Living.
You can view the guide online at whiterockcity.ca or you call 604-541-2199 for more information.
• Join the conversation, the Spanish conversation that is. If you are looking to improve your skills in this beautiful language, meet up with the Spanish conversation activity group at the Kent Street library Thursdays from 10-11 a.m.
A White Rock Leisure Services membership is required. Call 604-541-2231.
• The Kent Street Dance Committee welcomes you to dance your summer nights away.
Each Wednesday night a different band is featured playing live music for social dancing. Singles and couples aged 50 and older are welcome.
Don’t be shy; there are mixer dances to get you acquainted.
Doors open at 7 a.m. with dancing from 7:30-10:30 p.m. Refreshments served midway.
• Join artist and instructor Luc Charchuk for oil painting en plein air at Centennial Park on Saturdays 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Oil Painting from Nature starts June 14 for four weeks.
During inclement weather, the session will be held indoors using a still-life subject. Another session starts July 12.
Register now for either class.
• Chronic back pain? There are a few spaces left in the back health class on Thursdays at the Centre for Active Living. A certified exercise specialist will teach how to strengthen your muscles to achieve and maintain a happy and healthy back. Classes start June 12 at 6 p.m. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
v Smoothie Fridays are back.
Sign up now for a free presentation on healthy lifestyle topics, capped off with a free fruit smoothie and learn more about the cardio gym drop-in program from our certified fitness instructor.
Call 604-541-2199 now to reserve your spot for June 13. Presentations are held at the Centre for Active Living (Gym 2).
• Discover the joy of yoga in a safe and gentle way, incorporating chair and mat postures, breathing techniques and guided meditation.
This health-and-wellness program is designed for older adults who have mobility or other physical challenges. The next class starts June 13, 10-11 a.m. at the Centre for Active Living.
• Get outdoors! There are some great hikes available this summer. Hozameen Lake on the U.S./Canada border is the destination June 15.
This is\ a moderately paced hike, 10 to 15 km and may involve an elevation gain of up to 300-m; a valid passport is required for this trip. Call 604-541-2199 for details.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.