- BC Games
Connect with Us
Books Plus: Facebook, Earth Day and English practice
• Beginner internet: If you already feel confident using the mouse, sign up for a free beginner internet class where you will learn the basics of the internet and be surfing in no time. Classes run April 22, 2 to 3 p.m. at the City Centre branch (register by calling 604-554-7330) and April 23, 2 to 3 p.m. at the Poirier branch (register by calling 604-937-4144).
• Mouse skills: If you need to learn how to use a computer mouse, this is the class for you. Librarians will go over the proper way to move the mouse, click, scroll, and more using exercises designed to teach and improve these skills. The class runs Thursday, April 24, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the City Centre branch. Registration is required for this free program, as space is limited. Call 604-554-7330 to register.
• Wealth and Taxation: Strategies to Help Manage your Wealth: On Thursday, April 24 at the Poirier branch (3:30 to 4:30 p.m.), financial advisor James Leung will share wealth-management strategies, including: income splitting, tax-planned wills, trusts and insurance planning. Registration is required for this free program; leave a message at 604-937-4155.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.library.coquitlam.bc.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• 10 things to get you started on Facebook: Facebook is a great way to stay in touch or reconnect with friends, family and the brands you love. On April 27 from 2 to 3 p.m., librarians will show you how to do the 10 most common things on Facebook, including the important task of adjusting your privacy settings. Feel free to bring your own laptop or tablet to follow along. No registration required.
• Celebrate Earth Day — Take a hike, plant a tree, tune-up your car: Visit Port Moody Public Library with your ideas and find out how librarians can help you celebrate Earth Day on April 22. PMPL has hiking maps and books of local trails, resources on gardening, print and online manuals on car repair and maintenance, and much more.
• Learning Express: Learning Express Library provides online tutorials, practice tests, skill-building courses and eBooks to help you learn at your own pace on a variety of topics including basic, intermediate and advanced courses on popular software such as Word and Excel. You can find this great resource at library.portmoody.ca under Digital Content.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Adult Learner Book Club: Make new friends, read interesting books and practise English in a fun environment with other adults upgrading their reading skills or learning English. The books discussed vary from ELSA Level 2 to 5 according to the reading levels and interests of the group. The group meets on the second Friday of each month from 2 to 3 p.m.; the next meeting will be held on May 9. Call or drop by the information desk to sign up.
• English Conversa-tion Group: Practise English in a friendly, social situation in a group presented in partnership with Share Family and Community Services. Drop in Thursdays from 10:30 a.m. to noon.
For more information, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.