- BC Games
Connect with Us
BOOKS PLUS: Practise English, get a job
• Hidden Job Market: Gillian Kirk of Avia Employment Services will help you whether you are just starting out in the world of work or wanting to try a new career. To register for a free session on Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2 to 3:30 p.m. at the City Centre branch, leave a message on the CPL registration line, 604-937-4155.
• Learn English: Newcomers with beginners english can learn community skills while attending a six-week program series at the Poirier branch on Tuesdays from Jan. 21 to Feb. 25, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Presenter Carol Falconer has a Masters in education and will help you gain experience with reading, writing, speaking and listening at a beginners’ English level, while learning about community skills. During classes, participants will learn about using the transit system, renting a home, talking to a doctor, phoning 911 and more. Participants must attend all six sessions and be able to speak English in short sentences. To register for this program series, phone Janice Williams, CPL adult services librarian, at 604-554-7337.
For more information about any programs, visit library.coquitlam.bc.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Moving Mom and Dad: Helping family members move to a retirement community, assisted living or long-term care facility? Join Susan Borax and Heather Knittel on Jan. 30 at 7 p.m. to learn simple and practical downsizing strategies. Space is limited so call 604-469-4577 to reserve a seat.
• Share English practice groups for adults (drop-in): Looking for a place to practise speaking English? Then head to the library’s ParkLane Room on Fridays from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Join other English learners in this free program put on by Share Family and Community Services. Enjoy conversations with the other participants and the group leader. You will also find out more about your community in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Meet the author: Meet Vancouver author and social worker Barbara Halcrow, whose first book is Spiritual Intelligence: How your Spirit Will Lead You to Health, Happiness and Success. Her plan is to continue to author books and speak about her writings to best support people’s own spiritual journeys and their belief in themselves. Refreshments will be served. Everyone is welcome, Saturday, Jan. 25, 2 to 3 p.m.; registration is appreciated.
For more information, visit fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.