- BC Games
Connect with Us
BOOKS PLUS: A busy week ahead: café, babytime and eBooks
Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries
• Philosophers’ Cafe — Reality: What is real and what is not? How do we live in the same world with different realities? How could we tell the difference between reality and a dream if we were to never wake up? Moderator Amir Kamyabnejad will lead a discussion on reality as part of a Philosophers’ Café session on Dec. 12, 7 to 8:45 p.m. at the City Centre branch.
• Book bags: Start your Christmas shopping at CPL with book bags for Christmas presents. Priced at $1 per bag, these are substitutes for paper Christmas gift bags as they can come in handy for a variety of uses throughout the year.
• Email class: You must already know how to scroll, click and use the address bar in a web browser to go to a website to take this free class, and you should also only sign up if you do not have an email account. In this class, to be held Dec. 11 from 2 to 3 p.m. at the Poirier branch, participants will sign up for an account (for free) on gmx.com and will learn how to send, receive and reply to an email. Registration is required as space is limited; call the reference desk at 604-937-4144 to register.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.library.coquitlam.bc.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Baby Sing and Learn (drop-in): Parents or caregivers and their children from birth to age 18 months are welcome to drop-in to the Baby Sing and Learn sessions for the season on Dec. 11 from 2 to 2:45 pm or Dec. 12 from 11 to 11:45 a.m. Participate in an interactive program of songs, rhymes and stories that encourages bonding and promotes early speech and language development. There is time for adult conversation afterward.
• Preschool Storytime (drop-in): Get ready to read on Dec. 11 from 10 to 10:30 a.m. at the final storytime for the season, which features stories and songs for children 18 months to five years of age. Parent/caregiver participation is required.
• Tween Book Club: You can register now for next year’s PMPL Tween Book Club, which will feature new books and discussions. Meetings start Jan. 14; if you are a returning member, or if you didn’t get a chance to register for the fall sessions and don’t want to miss out this time, you can pick up a registration form now at the library information desk.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr.,
• Free eBooks and more: Are you thinking of purchasing an eBook reader or a tablet as a Christmas gift this year? Fox has some great free digital content waiting for you, including the bestselling fiction and non-fiction audiobooks and eBooks, available through FVRL OverDrive and OneClick Digital, as well as complete digital editions of your favourite magazines through Zinio. This seminar will teach you the process of getting an eBook from the library onto your device on Dec. 11, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Sessions are: eBook Readers, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.; tablets, 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. (When you register, library staff can determine which seminar will best suit your needs.)
For information, visit fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.