- BC Games
Connect with Us
BOOKS PLUS: Computers & canoes, too
• Internet searching: This class runs from 2 to 3 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 8 at the City Centre branch and is for those who have taken the beginner class or have sufficient experience. Registrants must be comfortable using the internet, entering an address in the address bar and scrolling up and down a page. In this class, you will learn how to get more relevant search results. Registration is required for this free program as space is limited. Call the reference desk at 604-554-7330 to register.
• Mouse skills: If you need to learn how to use a computer mouse, this is the class for you. Librarians will go over the proper way to move the mouse, click, scroll, and more using exercises designed to teach and improve these skills. The class runs Wednesday, Oct. 9 from 2 to 3 p.m. at the Poirier branch. Registration is required for this free program, as space is limited. Call the reference desk at 604-937-4144 to register.
• Philosophers’ Cafe: Death: On Thursday, Oct. 10 from 7 to 8:45 p.m. at the City Centre branch, moderator Amir Kamyabnejad will lead a discussion of death: Do you think you will die? Does it scare you? Or do you embrace it? How would your perception of life change if you changed your beliefs about death? Philosophers’ Café is a series of informal public discussions that are open to everyone.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.library.coquitlam.bc.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Computer basics (registration required): If you have basic keyboard and mouse skills, then you are ready for the next step. Join PMPL librarians on Tuesday, Oct. 8 from 2:30 to 4 p.m. or from 7 to 8:30 p.m. for a hands-on introduction to basic computer vocabulary. You will also learn about the desktop and about creating documents and folders using Windows 7. Space is limited, call 604-469-4577 to reserve a computer.
• Tech Café: Friendly and knowledgeable teen volunteers are back at your library to provide free one-on-one help with your basic computer questions. Drop in to the ParkLane Room on Fridays from Oct. 11 to Dec. 13 between 4 and 5:30 p.m. for help with a variety of technology basics such as email, smartphones, texting, eReaders, Microsoft Office and more.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• The Shetland Islands in Spirit Dancer canoe: Join adventure travellers Barbara and Chris Cooper on a journey around the Shetland Islands, an amazing journey on the most northerly section of the British Isles. The Shetlanders are an remarkable community that helped Chris Cooper and his team through the struggles of negotiating tricky seas. The Spirit Dancer canoe had more than 800 local people helping paddle around some beautiful North Sea landscapes. You can discover the magic of the Shetlander coastline and learn about the people and music on Tuesday, Oct. 8, 7 to 8 p.m. Registration is appreciated; call 604-927-7999 to reserve your spot.
For more information, visit www.fvrl.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.