- BC Games
Connect with Us
BOOKS PLUS: Workplace culture, teen volunteers, real estate at Tri-City libraries
Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam.
• Canadian Workplace Culture program: Newcomers to Canada can have many challenges when looking for work, including knowing how to fit in to Canadian workplace culture. If you are interested in learning more about Canadian cultural norms and employers’ expectations, then attend the Canadian Workplace Culture program Sept. 23 from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. at the City Centre branch. Nathalie Wang will present an interactive workshop aimed at helping participants gain greater cultural awareness, identify potential challenges they may have as immigrants and develop strategies for succeeding in the Canadian workplace. Wang is an immigrant with Master’s degrees in arts and adult education, and five years experience as a career practitioner. She currently works for Skills Connect for Immigrants Program, with Training Innovations and Welcome BC. The Canadian Workplace Culture program is free but registration is required. To register, phone 604 937-4155.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.library.coquitlam.bc.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Opportunities for teens: PMPL is recruiting teen volunteers for its Book Buddies and Tech Cafe programs. Kids will earn school volunteer hours, meet new people and make a difference in their community. Deadline for applications is Sept. 19. Check the Teen section at library.portmoody.ca for more information and volunteer application forms.
• Twilight Tales is back: PMPL invites kids from birth to six years of age with parents or caregivers to drop in on Tuesday, Sept. 17 from 6:30 to 7 p.m. Join librarians for a relaxing half-hour of stories, songs and more in the Storytelling Circle.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• TED Talk Wednesdays: Join Terry Fox librarians on Sept. 18 for a brief TED Talk presentation screening followed by thought-provoking conversation. TED Talks cover a range of topics, from technology to the arts and current events. Sessions are on the third Wednesday of each month from 2 to 3 p.m. Everyone is welcome.
• First-time Home Buyer Workshop: Realtor Mark George and a panel including a financial planner, mortgage broker and a home inspector will provide information about how to go about finding and purchasing your first home. This workshop covers getting your finances in order to qualify for a mortgage; finding the ideal property; and what you have to do once you have found it. If you’re not a first-time home buyer, you can still attend for a refresher on the process. Everyone is welcome on Thursday, Sept. 19, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
For more information, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.