- BC Games
Connect with Us
BOOKS PLUS: Storytimes, eReaders and more at Tri-City libraries
Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam.
• What’s the Buzz about eReaders? Curious if an eReader is right for you? You can borrow two types, the Sony Wi-Fi eReader and the Kobo Touch eReader, for free with your library card. These readers come preloaded with 85 books and you can download free eBooks from the Library to Go collection. Already have an eReader? Use your library card to check out a free eBook from the Library to Go service. Download and read bestselling and classic eBooks 24/7. You can use your laptop, PC, smart phone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android tablet, Kobo or Sony e-Reader at home, in the office, or anywhere in the world.
• Keep Your Language Alive: You can help your child stay in touch with their roots with PMPL’s Links to Language Multilingual Kits. Each kit contains 10 pre-school-level books, a CD and a DVD in one of five languages: Chinese, Korean, Farsi, Spanish and French. A bilingual resource manual provides tips on building early literacy skills. Borrow a kit today.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
Fall Storytimes at Terry Fox Library include:
• Babytime: Make language fun and start early with Babytime for babies from birth to 12 months and their caregivers; it will run on Fridays, Sept. 13 to Oct. 11, from 10:15 to 10:40 a.m. Help your baby develop speech and language skills — enjoy bouncing, singing and rhyming with stories. Registration begins Sept. 3.
• Storytime: Introduce kids to the love of books and language with Storytime. Enjoy interactive stories, songs, rhymes and more as Storytime prepares children to learn to read. Drop by the library on Tuesdays, Sept. 10 to Oct. 8, 10:15 to 10:45 a.m. Everyone is welcome.
• Pyjama Storytime: Bring the entire family to the library for a half-hour of stories, songs and rhymes. Children are welcome to come in pyjamas and bring a stuffed toy. Storytimes take place on the first Wednesday of the month. The next storytime is on Sept. 4 from 6:45 to 7:15 p.m.
• Saturday Storytime: Visit the library on the third Saturday of each month and enjoy stories fingerplays and songs. The next Saturday Storytime is on Sept. 21 from 11 to 11:30 a.m.
For more information, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.
• Living Legacy Fund: Storytimes, puppet shows, ESL classes, listening and viewing materials for the disabled, health seminars, special events for teens, book and audio delivery services for seniors, public access computers — people throughout the community use Coquitlam Public Library. And you can help CPL deliver materials and services. Donations to the Living Legacy Fund are used to enhance library collections and provide for special services and programs. You can donate to the Living Legacy Fund through: monetary gifts, bequests and estate planning and materials donations. In the case of monetary contributions, you will receive a tax receipt and acknowledgement through the donor recognition program. For further information, call Silvana Harwood, CPL’s interim director, at 604-937-4131.
For more information about CPL, visit www.library.coquitlam.bc.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.