Connect with Us
BOOKS PLUS: Plenty of library events in the Tri-Cities
Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and the Terry Fox Library in PoCo.
• Summer Food Bank Drive: Coquitlam Public Library is encouraging residents to bring non-perishable food to the City Centre branch information desk as part of an effort to collect food for the Share food bank. Items that are needed include pasta, canned fruit and vegetables, peanut butter, larger size baby diapers, rice, canned meat, soup, fish and cereal. The next time you are buying groceries for your family, please take a moment to pick up an item for a local family in need.
• Canadian Citizenship Cultural Access Pass: Have you recently received your citizenship? Starting June 27, the Coquitlam Public Library is a pickup location for the Institute for the Canadian Citizenship Cultural Access Pass. The pass is free to new Canadians ages 18 and up during their first year of citizenship. The pass provides free admission to more than 600 of Canada’s cultural treasures from coast to coast, with the goal of creating opportunities for Canada’s newest citizens to discover Canada’s rich cultural history, artworks, historical figures and parks.
For more information about these programs visit www.library.coquitlam.bc.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier Branch is located 575 Poirier St.
• Summer Baby Sing and Learn: Join us on Mondays starting July 8 for the Summer Baby Sing and Learn drop in. This interactive program consists of songs, rhymes and stories for babies and their parents and caregivers and encourages bonding and promotes early speech and language development. Sessions are from 11 to 11:45 a.m. and are appropriate for babies that are newborns to 18 months old.
• Summer Twilight Tales: Throw on your pajamas and comfy slippers for some family summer evening fun as part of the library’s Summer Twilight Tales on Tuesdays. This is a great way to end your busy day with relaxing stories and songs on Tuesdays between 6:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. starting on July 9. Kids from babies to the age of six and their parents or caregivers are welcome.
For more information about any of these programs go to www.library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Up, Up and Away: Get ready to go Up, Up and Away with the award winning magician and educator, the Great Smartini. “Amazing” and “hilarious” are just some of the words that have been used by previous audiences to describe Smartini’s magic. Join the Great Smartini at the Terry Fox Library, as he makes reading magical during his one hour of pure family entertainment. Free tickets are available beginning June 24 and the event will take place on Monday, July 8 between 2 and 2:45 p.m.
For more information, visit www.fvrl.ca. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.