Connect with Us
Art camps and classes for Chilliwack kids abound
Chilliwack has several exciting summer programs and art camps on offer for kids at this time of year.
Several options are available at the Chilliwack Cultural Centre on Corbould Street run by the Chilliwack Arts & Cultural Centre Society, as well as at the Art Room on Vedder Road run by the Chilliwack Community Arts Council.
Both organizations have camps running in July and August, led by some talented and creative instructors, on both sides of Chilliwack.
Some have started already while others will be underway soon.
The camps at the Art Room run Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and there are two week-long camps available: July 21 to 25 and/or August 18 to 22.
There are a stellar slate of activities planned for kids at the Art Room including:
• Crayon Crew (ages 3 to 6): Fun and creatively themed arts and crafts classes - Tuesdays & Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• Kreative Kidz (ages 7 to 12): Challenging and fun arts and crafts projects - Tuesdays & Thursdays, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
• Crafty Chefs (ages 3 to 6): Workshops for kids who love to be in the kitchen - Wednesdays, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• Kids Cooking Club (ages 7 to 12): Kitchen safety, measurements, recipes and more - Wednesdays, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
• Drama Camp with Nelly Fargeon (Ages 7 to 12): Kids get a taste of the theatre arts, and put on a show for family and friends. It's sponsored in part by UFV Theatre - Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For adults and teens they're offering A Wire Coiling Workshop with jeweler Alicia Champ, Art in the Park with local artist Judith Pickard, a special 'Beyond the Selfie' photography class for teens with photographer Angelika Young, Cold Process Soap Making and Melt and Pour Soap Making with Executive Director Patti Lawn, and two canning workshops (Jams and Jellies, and Pickles) with cook extraordinaire, Dian Learn. Pre-registration is required. More at chilliwackartscouncil.com, call 604-769-ARTS (2787), or stop by the Art Room at #20 – 5725 Vedder Rd.
For those on the downtown side of Chilliwack, check out these Summer Art Camps at the Cultural Centre.
"Exciting things are happening at The Centre this summer," says marketing manager Ann Goudsward.
This is the ideal time for children in Chilliwack, aged six to 10, to explore their creativity and stave off boredom at the Cultural Centre, presented by the Chilliwack Arts & Cultural Centre Society.
"The arts and crafts programming available at the Cultural Centre encourages creativity in our community’s aspiring young artists," she said. "This is a fantastic chance to get your children involved in the arts in a fun and exciting way for the summer."
Three different themes were chosen this year:
• Space - They blasted off in Week 1 (which started July 7) with space themed activities with Cosmic Kids, and boldly go where no one has gone before with a week full of galactic fun!
• Fantasy - Prepare to be whisked away in Week 2 (started July 14) to a faraway realm of magic, games, crafts, and fun as you visit the land of dragons, magic, knights and princesses with this week of fantasy themed fun activities in Castles and Quests.
• Superheroes – Are you ready for Super Hero Training Camp (starting July 21)? Kids will have a super-powered week of fun in this camped packed with superhero themed projects.
For more details about costs, classes and themed programs at the Centre call: 604-391-SHOW(7469) www.chilliwackculturalcentre.com or visit 9201 Corbould Street.