Connect with Us
Chamber and jazz nights at TWU
Before the inevitable December rush sets in, Trinity Western University offers a refreshing series of musical Wednesdays — with nary a Christmas tune to be heard.
Featuring intimate performances by the talented musicians of TWU’s School of the Arts, Media + Culture (SAMC), the semi-annual Chamber Music Night and Jazz Night promise an entertaining diversion for all tastes — from Beatles to Baroque, from Sinatra to spicy Latin rhythms.
On Nov. 27, SAMC’s Chamber Music Night will feature three diverse instrumental ensembles:
• Highlights by the guitar quartet include Amazing Grace and Michael Jackson’s dance hit Billie Jean, under the direction of Tim Olsen.
• The piano trio (violin, cello, and piano, directed by Heilwig von Koenigsloew) will perform the seventh movement from Constantinople by Canadian contemporary composer Christos Hatzis.
• The eclectic JACHS ensemble, directed by Paolo Bortolussi, will take the audience on a moving musical journey beginning with Telemann’s Quartet No. 1 in D major and concluding with a haunting piece by Argentine tango composer Astor Piazzolla.
On Dec. 4, SAMC’s Jazz Night features three outstanding jazz ensembles:
• The Vocal Jazz Ensemble, directed by Jon Thompson, will perform several of Frank Sinatra’s biggest hits alongside other favourites by the likes of Duke Ellington.
• The Jr. and Sr. Jazz Combos, directed by Tony Gallo, will start from the late ’50s and ’60s and groove their way to the present, with selections incorporating Latin rhythms, fusion styles, and odd-metered tunes.
The music of John Coltrane and his followers will figure prominently, interspersed with some surprise arrangements of contemporary tunes .
Enjoy Chamber Music Night on Wednesday, Nov. 27 and Jazz Night on Wednesday, Dec. 4 in the Instrumental Music Hall at TWU 7600 Glover Rd).
Both concerts begin at 7:30 p.m. with admission by donation ($5 suggested). Arrive early for a good seat.
For details, visit twu.ca/samc or phone 604-513-2173.