Peninsula athletes headed for Summer Games
Over a dozen young athletes from the Saanich Peninsula are headed to the B.C. Summer Games which kick off in Nanaimo on Thursday.
Finn Battersby, an athlete with Peninsula Track and Field Club, is headed to the games with two other Pen Track members, Ben Sammons and Brennan Hopkins, to compete against athletes from all over the province.
"I know I'm definitely looking forward to heading there," said Battersby, who competes in his event, the 1500m steeplechase, on Saturday.
"A highlight will be the fact that many of us will be competing as a team for the first time rather than competing against each other which will be awesome."
Battersby, who starts Grade 9 at Parkland Secondary in September, was a wild card in the games qualifications, meaning he was selected after qualifications based on his qualifying placements and age.
"I'm turning 14 so to qualify as a younger athlete is great," he said.
Sammons will be competing in the pentathlon event and Hopkins will take on the 100m hurdles.
The games wrap up on Sunday, July 20. For an updated list of results visit www.bcgames.org.
Other Peninsula athletes competing at the B.C. Summer Games in Nanaimo this weekend include*:
• Victoria Renning, Girls Softball
• Chloe Scaber, Girls Basketball
• Maximilian Cunningham, Rowing
• Nick Murray, Box Lacrosse
• Jack Isherwood, Box Lacrosse
• Rory Passmore, Box Lacrosse
• Dawson Gordon, Field Lacrosse
• Will Johansen, Field Lacrosse
• Joshua Pickford, Field Lacrosse
• Sofie Kennedy, Girls Rugby
• Fynn Heaney-Corns, Swimming
*Names as obtained from the B.C. Games website.