Pirates set to plunder Esquimalt in Buccaneer Days
Pirates and other scallywags are casting their eyes on Esquimalt Buccaneer Days this weekend.
The annual community event is held from June 13 to 15 at Archie Browning Sports Centre and Bullen Field.
“It’s a family-friendly atmosphere and everyone is invited,” says Buccaneer co-chair Bob McKie, who has been part of the celebration for the past two decades.
This year’s new event is a Frisbee Frenzy tournament, which will replace the annual rugby event.
All the fun starts Friday with the seniors barbecue at noon to 1:30 p.m. The opening of the midway Saturday will feature a Lion’s Club pancake breakfast, parade and Frisbee tournament, the midway, food booths, a beer garden, a dance and a movie, as well as the sale of baked goods, tea, plants and arts and crafts.
Children’s events that day include a pirates den from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., and children’s races at 2 p.m. The annual ladies nail-driving contest happens at 3 p.m.
On Sunday, festivities include sales and displays in the sports centre, sports on the green, food booths, a midway, as well as a skydiving contest and free pony rides for children.
The pirate-themed fair, carnival rides and games are a highlight for many youngsters who attend the weekend event with their families, said McKie.
“Everybody loves pirates. Our pirates all love kids,” he says, with a smile.
The weekend’s schedule:
Friday, June 13
• Seniors barbecue at Archie Browning Sports Centre, noon to 1:30 p.m.
• Midway, behind Archie Browning Sports Centre, 3 to 11 p.m.
Saturday, June 14
• Wakey Wakey wake-up call: 7:30 to 9:30 a.m.
• Lion’s Club pancake breakfast, sports centre: 7:30 to 10:30 a.m.
• Frisbee Frenzy tournament, Bullen Park: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Buccaneer parade, Esquimalt Road: 10 to 11:30 a.m.
• Midway: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
• Beer garden, Bullen Park: 3 to 6 p.m.
• Community dance, sports centre, 7 p.m. start
• Free movie at Bullen Park: dusk
Sunday, June 15
• Mini-tyke lacrosse tourney: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Midway: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Free pony rides: noon to 4 p.m.
• Scouts Canada pie-plate sales for skydiving contest: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Skydiving at Bullen Park: 3 p.m.