Community Papers

Stove top goes up in flames

A Mowat Street resident got the fright as he arrived home just after 7:30 p.m. March 1 to find his kitchen on fire.

The Oak Bay Fire Department responded to the blaze and arrived to find the homeowner had extinguished the fire on his stove top using the retractable hose from the faucet in the sink.

The Oak Bay Fire prevention office Ken Gill said the public should use extreme caution if they decide to enter a home to fight a fire that has produced considerable smoke and toxic gases.

“Always dial 911 first and notify the fire department before making an attempt to extinguish a fire,” said Gill. “Remember that fast developing fires can double in size every 30 seconds.”

Firefighters entered the residence to check the fire area to confirm it was properly out and to check to ensure the fire had not spread.

An investigation revealed the fire started when an element had accidently been left on earlier in the evening causing it to ignite a dish towel and plastic dishes that had been placed on top of the stove to dry.

The family was not home at the time the fire began to smolder.

Significant damage was caused to the kitchen of the home.

Gill also reminds residents to make sure your smoke alarms are working and to keep stove tops clear of combustible materials at all times.

Damage to the home are estimated at approximately $25,000. 

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.