Connect with Us
Celebrate Heritage Week in Mission
Numerous events are being planned by the Mission District Historical Society to celebrate Heritage Week, Feb. 17-23.
This year's theme is cold play, a tribute to winter leisure and sports to celebrate the BC Winter Games in Mission, which is taking place the same week.
Events being planned for the week:
• Feb. 10-24: Our Heritage Afloat, Leisure Centre, 7650 Grand St. This exhibit is a celebration of heritage through the mediums of art, poetry, memoirs and archival material.
• Feb. 11-28: A special display by the Mission Museum featuring artifacts from the 2010 Winter Olympic torch and vintage ice skate will be on display at the library, 33201 Second Ave.
• Feb. 14-24: Heritage Week Student Art Display, various business stores on First Avenue. Stroll along First Avenue and see the art work by Hatzic Secondary students.
• Feb. 17: Cold Play Winter Leisure and Sports, Mission Community Archives, 33215 Second Ave. Visit the archives at 1 p.m. for the official opening of his new exhibit featuring historic photographs of winter sports and activities. This will be on display until the end of the month.
• Feb. 17: Annual Heritage Award Presentation, Municipal Hall, 8645 Stave Lake St. The awards ceremony inside council chambers will take place at 6 p.m., followed by a reception in the conference room.
• Feb. 19: Dreams of Glory Mission's Sport History, Lifetime Learning Centre, 32444 Seventh Ave. Archivist Val Billesberger will be giving a presentation and moderating a fun game on Mission's unique sports legacy. The event runs from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• Feb. 20: Heritage Tea, Cedarbrooke Chateau, 32331 Seventh Ave. Sharon Syrette will lead a discussion on "What does heritage mean to you" and the genealogy club will be there with displays. The tea runs from 2 to 4 p.m.
• Feb. 1: Archives of Olympian Eden Donatelli Green, Mission Community Archives, 33215 Second Ave. Visit the archives between 2 to 3 p.m. for a special introduction to and viewing of the records of Mission's Eden Donatelli Green, a member of Mission Racers Speed Skating Club, Olympian and coach.
For more information about Heritage Week, visit missiondhs.com.