Mulled wine made right in North Van
Looking for a way to stay warm this winter? Craig Boyle, merchandising assistant at Everything Wine in North Van, says mulled wine is the perfect drink. There are many complicated recipes out there but Boyle has simplified this one so it can be made quickly while entertaining on chilly evenings.
“It’s easy to make and I know my guests will love it,” he tells The Outlook.
• 2 bottles of red wine
• 1-2 cups of pulp free orange juice
• 1 sliced orange (put the entire orange into the pot, peel and all)
• a healthy amount of cinnamon powder to taste
• simmer on medium-high temp for 15 minutes before serving
To take it to the next level:
• add 2 cinnamon sticks (skip the powder)
• ½ cup of Brandy or Grand Marnier
• ¼ cup of brown sugar or honey
• While Boyle has had the pleasure of tasting incredible wine from many areas of the world, he says there is no need to spend more than $15 a bottle because the other ingredients will shine through.
• For an open house last weekend Boyle bought Don Simon Shiraz from Spain ($9.99). He also recommends: Angove Chalk Hill Blue Shiraz/Cabernet ($15.99) from Australia, Castillo de Aguaron Cabernet Sauvignon ($14.99) from Spain or Tenta Cabernet Sauvignon ($10.99) from Chile.
• Stick to the rich juicy reds and avoid anything too light such as Pinot Noirs and Gamays and you can’t go wrong.
• All wines are available at Everything Wine, 998 Marine Dr., North Van.