- BC Games
Connect with Us
Applicants can apply for educational bursary
Applications are being accepted for the Kamloops and District Elizabeth Fry Society Women’s Educational Bursary.
The bursary was established in 2012 to offer financial assistance to women in need. The bursary was born via a donation.
The society decided to use the money to create an educational bursary after receiving requests throughout the year from women who were trying to complete their post-secondary education, but were unable due to lack of finances.
“We wanted to do something with the money that we could see an immediate difference in an individual’s life,” said society executive director Louise Richards.
“Last year, the society awarded its first bursary. It was a very difficult decision for the committee,” she said, noting the overwhelming response from the community.
While past clients of the Kamloops and District Elizabeth Fry Society are given preference, last year’s recipient had not received services from the society.
Applicants are invited to share their story, their financial need and how their chosen training or schooling will help them achieve economic stability or self-sufficiency and reach their short and long term goals.
Here are some rules to note when applying:
• The successful applicant will be a woman 18 or older who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
• The successful applicant will be attending a recognized Canadian college, trades school or university in the Kamloops area;
• Any program will be considered, with the ultimate goal of obtaining a diploma, degree or certification;
• Application process is open to March 31, 2013;
• The bursary will be announced and presented at the May 10 annual conference during National Elizabeth Fry Week.
For more information or to download the application, go online to kamloopsefry.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.