Connect with Us
Want to be in royal party?
Do your children want to take a lead role in Port Coquitlam’s 90th annual May Day celebrations?
If so, they had better act quickly.
The City of Port Coquitlam is accepting applications for the traditional May Day Royal Party until Monday, Feb. 4.
Selected through a random draw, the May Day Royal Party consists of Flower Girls from Grades 1 and 2, and Princesses and Lancers (similar to a knight) from Grades 4 and 5. Royal Party duties include participating in:
• hip hop dance practices each Friday beginning Feb. 15 — Flower Girls from 4 to 4:40 p.m. and Princesses/Lancers from 4:40 to 5:30 p.m. — at the PoCo rec complex (except spring break and Good Friday);
• May Day selection tea April 9;
• dress rehearsal May 3, 8 to 11 a.m.;
• May Day banquet and opening ceremonies May 3, 5:30 to 9 p.m.;
• May Day parade with the city float, followed by the May Day Luncheon, May 11, 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.;
• Mother’s Day picnic (optional) May 12, 8:30 a.m. to noon.
This year’s May Queen and Ambassador will be randomly selected from among the Princesses and Lancers at the selection tea on April 9.
This year’s festival runs from May 3 to 12.
For more information or to apply online, visit www.portcoquitlam.ca/mayday. Printed applications are also available at city hall and PoCo recreation facilities. The application deadline is Feb. 4.