Connect with Us
New immigrants can get help connecting their skills to jobs
Are you a newcomer to Canada? Are you interested in connecting your skills to the Canadian workplace?
Immigrant Services Society of BC (ISSBC) and Port Coquitlam’s Terry Fox Library are hosting a session early in the new year on Skills Connect for Immigrants.
You may qualify for the program — to be held on Tuesday, Jan. 8 — if you:
• have been in Canada for less than five years and are a permanent resident;
• are unemployed or underemployed (working outside of your field or at a lower level);
• are eager to learn and motivated to build your career in Canada;
• have a clear and reasonable job target;
• can speak at an intermediate to advanced level of English;
At a session, facilitated by employment counsellor Tanja Ivkovic, you can learn about Skills Connect, an initiative by ISSBC that helps ease the transition of skilled immigrants into the Canadian workforce by connecting them with industry-specific skills training, credential evaluation and job search services. The presentation and screening run from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
To register, call 604-684-2561, Ext. 2123 or email email@example.com.
Terry Fox Library is located at 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in Port Coquitlam.