Connect with Us
Have a happy and fire-safe holiday season
Members of the Campbell River Fire Rescue team wish the citizens of Campbell River a safe and happy holiday season.
And they remind everyone that most Christmas fires can be prevented.
Decorate for safety to reduce the risk of holiday fires:
- Use flame-retardant or non-combustible materials.
- Do not leave candles burning unattended or within the reach of children.
- Ensure that candles are located well away from combustible materials and never use candles to decorate a Christmas tree.
- Remember to keep your Christmas tree watered to prevent it from drying out.
- Christmas wrapping and decorations can be highly combustible and should be kept away from heat sources.
- Discard gift wrap and boxes with the garbage or recycle where appropriate; do not burn them in the fireplace or woodstove.
- Only use lights that have been tested and labeled by an approved testing laboratory.
- Do not overload electrical circuits or extension cords.
- Always turn Christmas lights off before leaving home or going to sleep.
The Fire Department also urges everyone to practice fire safety in the kitchen during the festive season.
“Do not leave cooking food unattended, and if you are faced with a grease fire, put a lid on it!” says acting Fire Chief Ian Baikie. “And remember to always turn pot handles to the back of the stove when cooking, to avoid pots being pulled or knocked off.”
Another key to fire safety is an early warning.
“This holiday season, give the gift that saves lives: a smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide detector. Ensure that your loved ones are protected year ‘round with working smoke alarms at work and at home,” Baikie adds.