Community Papers

Keep your family safe from fire over the holidays

Govt. of BC - Govt. of BC
Govt. of BC
— image credit: Govt. of BC

VICTORIA - Each year, fires during the holiday season injure British Columbians and cause thousands of dollars in property damage. Since many of these fires are preventable, the Office of the Fire Commissioner and

the Ministry of Justice are offering some basic fire safety tips, so British Columbians can enjoy a fire-safe holiday season.

Candle safety and holiday decorating

* Use non-combustible containers for tea lights and votive candles. Battery-operated candles are an excellent alternative.

* Blow out all candles before leaving the room or going to bed.

* Keep Christmas trees, wrapping and decorations away from heat sources.

* Ensure your real Christmas tree stays fresh by watering it often. Consider a fire-resistant artificial tree as an alternative.

* Ensure Menorahs are placed on a stable surface and never leave candles unattended.

* Use only lights which have been tested and labelled by an approved testing laboratory.

* Always turn tree lights off before leaving home or going to sleep.

Approved timers can be used to preset the on and off times.

* Ensure electrical outlets are not overloaded by various sources.

* Avoid using gas fireplaces when young children are present as the glass front can reach over 300 degrees Celsius and take 45 minutes to cool off.

 

Smoke alarms and fire escape planning

* Install working smoke alarms on every level of your home and outside each sleeping area.

* Check and clean smoke alarms regularly and change batteries at least twice a year.

* Develop a fire escape plan, practice it regularly and have two ways out of your home.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Slocan Valley trail to remain non-motorized
 
It takes a tribe to raise a kokanee
 
Nelson’s heritage fire hall holds open house
Splashing into grad season
 
Selkirk grad Kiesza set to launch album
 
A cut above
Park on Us event nets nearly $16,000
 
MS Walk coming this Sunday at Baker Park
 
Sculpturewalk call to artists